Saturday, May 27, 2017

Marathon Sewing -- or, Will It Never End?

I know I will love this quilt when it is finished but just now it feels like I will never finish sewing the pieces together.  The little 4" blocks are finished but now they are waiting to be sewn into blocks of four, with sashing.


I needed 32 more blocks to go around the edges:  128 little 4" blocks and 128 pieces of coral "sashing," plus 32 little red squares.  All the pieces are cut and a few are sewn together.


The process is to stitch a coral strip to the side of each square, then to the opposite side; and to each side of a red square.  Then press, pin, and sew the coral/red strips to the squares.  Sew, sew, sew.


I know they will eventually be finished but it's beginning to feel like a marathon -- one that's like a treadmill with no end in sight. 

Do you ever feel like you're just ready for a quilt to be done?  (Or maybe I should say Done with a capital D.)  Do you rush through to finish, plod on, or lay it aside for a while?  If you rush through do you ever take shortcuts or make choices that are less than the best for the quilt? 

I don't want to shortchange this quilt, but boy am I ever ready to start something new!

--Nancy.
.

8 comments:

  1. When I get bored with a project I have to have a break! I usually put it away, but I often regret that! If I can do another project simultaneously that can help with the boredom factor, I love leaders and enders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hesitate to put in-progress blocks/quilts away because they become just another ufo (of which I already have too many!). Like you, I regret doing it. It's taking a lot of self control not to start another quilt right now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences, ES.

      P.S. Did you know you are a "no reply" blogger and when I click your name I can't learn your email or even whether you have a blog. But maybe that's the way you want it?

      Delete
  2. If it's becoming a chore and you have no deadline, give yourself a break for a while, but not so long that you forget what you're doing. LOL. This is one reason I make scrap quilts. I can't bear to do the same thing in the same color over and over. Maybe a leader-ender project would help, to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan. Sometimes when I put things away and pull them out again, it's almost like starting from scratch to figure out what layout I had in mind, or how I was stitching. I pushed through to finish sewing these blocks together and I'm glad I did (even though it took all of my self-control not to start another quilt!).

      I'm with you about making the same blocks with the same fabrics dozens of times. I just can't do it. I get too bored and just have to switch up the fabrics or the colors.

      Delete
  3. I do tend to put things like that aside, if there is no deadline. And I do sometimes loose them in the UFO closet for years on end. I have altered the design to make the process less painful on occasion, but not often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janet. I put things aside when I can't figure out what to do next, as in a design challenge, but I try to finish blocks because I'm afraid I'll never get back to the quilt or, if I do, I'll forget what I was doing and what I had in mind. I'm just pleased I didn't start another quilt before finishing sewing these blocks!

      Delete
  4. I'm OK with lots of repetition as long as I'm sure I'll be happy with the finished quilt top. If I start to doubt my colour or fabric choices then I struggle to 'keep my nose to the grindstone'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Allison, and that's the challenge for me: I never know if I'll like a finished quilt until it's finished! Or at least until it's a quilt top. If there's a "design" problem/uncertainty, I usually stop until I can figure out what should come next.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...